How many of you have heard of the Super Bowl? Alright, who I am I kidding? Everyone has! Great food, the most creative ad campaigns of the year, and great football—it’s pretty hard to miss. Millions of people participate in this day. According to a 2013 Retail Advertising and Marketing Association survey, approximately 75% of American consumers planned to watch the Super Bowl in 2013.
According to this survey, about $68 was spent per person on merchandise related to the Super Bowl.
This same survey predicted that in 2013 over $12.7 billion was spent on Super Bowl related purchases.
For me, this raised a question. What if, instead of spending hours of our time and billions of dollars on this event, we spent some time sharing the fact that New Jersey, home of the MetLife Stadium, still has a C grade on the Protected Innocence Challenge? What if we spent some of our time and money sharing the fact that an estimated 100,000 children every year are sexually exploited through prostitution?
At Shared Hope, we want to get 2014 started off right, and I’d like you to participate. 2014 is our year to make a difference in the world. On January 20, we are launching our Second Annual Defenders Super Bowl Campaign, and I’d like to invite you to participate. It’s time that we get men to step up and be true Defenders. It’s time that we end demand. It’s time to get in the game.
There are several ways that you can do this.
- If you haven’t already, take the Defenders Pledge. Make a free, public declaration that you are going to let your lifestyle protect the women and children around you.
- Share the Defenders Pledge with others. As an added incentive, if you recruit 15 men to take the pledge and they say that you inspired them to do so, we will give you a free Defenders V-neck shirt, while supplies last. We’ll sweeten the pot, if you get 30 men to take the pledge, we will throw in a Defenders polo shirt for FREE!
- Spread the word about human trafficking. Gear up with Defenders apparel from our store!
- Raise awareness about your state grade on the Protected Innocence Challenge. Spread the word on Facebook and Twitter. Share the link sharedhope.org/stategrades so your friends can see their state score and write their legislator about it!
- Engage with us! On the day of the Super Bowl (February 2nd), we will be tweeting, posting on Facebook, and posting a few blog entries. Your job is to spread the word to your community. Like, share, and retweet our messages! It’s time to get in the game. Use #knowthescore to add your voice to the Defenders conversation on Twitter.
Will you join us? It’s time to get in the game.