- Have you completed a residential program and are wondering ‘what do I do now’?
- Are you about to “age out” of a program, but don’t feel ready to live on your own?
- Are you looking for an opportunity to take the next step in your recovery from sexual exploitation?
Your Path to Freedom may be through Terry’s House!
Shared Hope International proudly announces the opening of Terry’s House to serve 18-24 year old survivors of sex trafficking.
Terry’s House is a residential program that will prepare young survivors for independent living and equip them to handle the stressors of life–bills, work, school, family and friends–that can be overwhelming without support through this transitional phase. In a homey and safe environment, residents are encouraged to explore possibilities and pursue education, vocation, or career.
Donated by a member of the Defenders—the men of Shared Hope– Terry’s House is meant to guide its residents along their own individual path to freedom by inspiring and empowering them to heal, grow and succeed in everyday life. To symbolize this and to raise funds, the Defenders are constructing a physical path to freedom throughout the property, funded by donors who care about you.
Terry’s House is a Christian residential program that offers young women who have survived sex trafficking the opportunity to move beyond initial stages of recovery and to begin reclaiming the hopes and dreams that were lost. Ideally when she leaves the program a young woman will have developed good independent living skills, support systems, and the ability to financially support herself. Acceptance into the program requires residents to commit to a minimum stay of 12 months. Length of stay is based on individual life goals of each resident. It is important that applicants take the time to consider whether they are committed to the decision to carve out a new path through our transitional living program.
Terry’s House employs Christian counseling, teaching and community involvement to help our residents explore issues such as forgiveness, family and generational patterns, abuse, freedom, faith and principles for life-long success that lead to economic independence. At the core of everything we do at Terry’s House are four things: Love, Honor, Transparency, and Purpose. Download the program outline.
What We Provide:
- A safe, supportive environment with a staff member on-site.
- A fully furnished house, including bed linens and towels.
- A fully equipped and stocked kitchen allowing each resident to prepare her own meals.
- Resources for continued restoration and well-being. Counseling, mentoring, and weekly coaching meetings help set goals and provide accountability to help meet those goals.
- Spiritual care. Staff and residents practice daily quiet times, attend weekly church services, and take part in weekly spiritual formation classes at the house.
- Practical Resources. Staff and volunteers provide Life Skills modules (budgeting, cooking, etc.), as well as work with each resident to connect with job training, internships, and volunteer opportunities. If a resident needs to obtain her GED or would like to attend college, we are committed to helping each resident meet her educational goals.
Applicants to Terry’s House should have a desire to grow and learn in a Christian atmosphere, and be committed to actively apply the principles of a Biblical counseling program.
Each applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Have previously experienced commercial sexual exploitation.
- Adult women between the ages of 18 and 24 years old (Considerations may be made based on individual criteria)
- Have completed a residential program lasting a minimum of one year, or an equivalent program or have established a history of stability. Stability is defined by references, application and interview.
- Be clean and sober for a minimum of six consecutive months
- Minor children are not allowed as residents
The goal of Terry’s House is to create an opportunity that guides women to a future as an overcomer. Leadership Development, Business Etiquette and other Life Enrichment Classes are just a few things that Terry’s House offers. The on-site Resident Program Manager will assist each woman to create her own strategic plan to help her achieve her goals.
Terry’s House is a very important step on a path we walk together with the goal that each resident is able to live freely in every aspect of life. If that is something you want, something you want to commit to working toward, come join us and we will set out on your path to freedom with you.